Can You Put a Yeti In The Microwave?

Yeti mugs are great for keeping drinks hot, but once in a while you can leave your drink in for too long and it needs to warm up a bit. Can You Put a Yeti In The Microwave?

If your drink has gone cold in your Yeti tumbler, can you put a Yeti in the microwave to heat it up or will it explode or not work?

I read mixed stuff online, so I went and tried this myself to see what would happen –

just be careful to look at your Yeti in case you see a spark, and check that the metal isn’t too hot to touch before you take it out of the microwave.

What happens when you put a Yeti mug in the microwave?

A Yeti tumbler is made of stainless steel, so when hit with microwaves, free-moving electrons in the metal can conduct electricity.

Because the Yeti tumbler cup is made of thick, mostly flat metal, the electrons just vibrate back and forth and the microwaves bounce around according to SciShow.

Can You Put a Yeti In The Microwave?

The metal will start to heat up over time and will eventually become extremely hot if you leave it there long enough.

The thinner the metal (such as aluminum foil), the faster it will heat up and this is where it can start fires. Aluminum foil and forks with points and edges can trigger electricity and ruin your microwave.

But Yeti glasses don’t have the same concentrated points as forks, so the risk of electrical sparks is much less.

When you put a Yeti mug in the microwave, the mug will heat up slowly, but the metal also reflects most microwaves, making it difficult to heat the contents inside.

However, microwaves can still enter through the top of the mug to heat the drink and I think that’s why in my experiment the water got a bit warm in that minute.

Will a yeti catch fire in your microwave?

No, your Yeti mug is unlikely to catch fire in the microwave. It can catch fire if you leave it there for an extremely long period of time without looking at it.

Personally, I put my Yeti mug in the microwave for 1 minute and the mug got a little hot, but it was still very safe to the touch and there were NO sparks or explosions.

The mug did get hot, but not significantly enough to be close to being too hot to touch.

Heating food/drinks in a glass tumbler is a better option.

I put 60ºF (16ºC) water in a Yeti Lowball Tumbler and put it in my microwave for 1 minute.

After 1 minute, the water had warmed to approximately 80ºF (27ºC).

I also tried a similar amount of water with the same starting temperature and put it in my microwave for 1 minute to see how hot the water got.

After 1 minute the water was much hotter at about 123ºC (50ºC).

So it’s clear that heating drinks in a regular mug works better and is less risky than putting your Yeti straight into the microwave.

But if you just need to warm your drink up a bit, then putting your Yeti in the microwave for a short amount of time should be fine.

What do other people say about putting your Yeti in the microwave?

I did some research to try and see what other people were saying about microwaving their Yeti tumblers.

Were there stories of explosions, fires, sparks, or broken appliances?

I couldn’t find anyone who actually reported a bad story of putting their Yeti in the microwave and something bad happening.

Can You Put a Yeti In The Microwave?

There ‘s this Amazon Q&A page where people ask if it’s okay to microwave it.

While some people say no, the general consensus is that yes, it’s okay to microwave your Yeti.

One customer even said they put their Yeti in the microwave for 1 minute to reheat their coffee and it was fine. No sparks and it got your coffee hot enough to be nice to drink again.

Another customer said they put it in the microwave and although nothing bad happened, it didn’t warm her drink at all. However, my test showed that my drink definitely got warm, so I don’t know about this.

 

 

 

Rate this post